Webdunia - Bharat's app for daily news and videos

Install App

Afghan Vice president had a narrow escape in bomb blast leaving 4 dead

Webdunia
Wednesday, 9 September 2020 (11:47 IST)
A roadside bomb targeting Afghan Vice President Amrullah Saleh has left at least four people dead and several security guards injured. No group has claimed responsibility, but Saleh is known for his anti-Taliban stance.
A roadside bomb exploded close to the convoy of Afghan Vice President Amrullah Saleh on Wednesday morning, his spokesman said.
 
"Today, once again the enemy of Afghanistan tried to harm Saleh, but they failed to get to their evil aim, and Saleh escaped the attack unharmed," Razwan Murad wrote on Facebook.
 
Saleh, who is the senior of Afghanistan's two vice presidents, was not harmed. However, a number of his security guards were wounded in the incident, according to Murad. The blast killed at least four people and wounded 16, a Health Ministry spokesman said. 
 
Saleh said in his first television appearance immediately after the attack that he was fine and had suffered only slight burns. He appeared on television with bandages wrapped around one hand.
 
Abdullah, a shopkeeper who gave only one name, told AFP that the blast had blown out his windows. "A shop that sold gas cylinders also caught fire, causing the cylinders to blow up," he said. 
 
Wednesday's attack comes as Afghan negotiations and the Taliban are expected to begin peace talks soon in Doha, the capital of Qatar. No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, and the Taliban denied any involvement. "Today's explosion in Kabul has nothing to do with the Mujahedeen of the Islamic Emirate," said Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahed. 
 
Saleh, a vocal critic of the Taliban, survived another attack last year ahead of presidential elections. At least 20 people, mostly civilians, were killed and 50 others wounded when a suicide attacker and gunmen targeted Saleh's Kabul office.

Related Article

See All

Top News

Heathrow airport closed after fire causes power outage: The impact of a major shutdown at Europe's busiest airport

NZ vs PAK, 3rd T20: Hasan Nawaz hits blistering ton after first 2 ducks, powers Pakistan to win against New Zealand

'We are not a trash bin', Allahabad Bar Association on transfering Delhi High Court judge Yashwant Verma after Rs 15 crore cash recovery from his residence

Must Read

Landslides and mudslides: Can they be prevented?

Fungi are adapting to body heat — a 'doomsday scenario'

Could a Syrian war criminal be attending Paris Olympics?

Next Article
Show comments