Webdunia - Bharat's app for daily news and videos

Install App

Israel-Hamas war: More than 300,000 displaced in Gaza, UN says

Webdunia
Thursday, 12 October 2023 (12:14 IST)
The UN humanitarian agency OCHA said on Thursday that more than 338,000 people had been forced to flee their homes in the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip amid heavy Israeli bombardment. 
 
"Mass displacement across the Gaza Strip continues," the OCHA said in a statement. 
 
It said the number of displaced people had risen by an additional 75,000 by late Wednesday compared to the figure from 24 hours earlier. 
 
The announcement came as Israel continued to hit targets in the densely populated Palestinian enclave overnight into Thursday, part of its military response to the deadly weekend terror attacks by Hamas. 
 
The OCHA said around two-thirds of those displaced had sought shelter in schools run by the UN agency supporting Palestinian refugees, the UNRWA.
 
The bulk of the rest were staying with relatives or neighbors, but Palestinian Authority schools, a church and other facilities in Gaza City were assisting, it said.

Related Article

See All

Top News

Netflix series 'Adolescence': Teen masculinity in crisis

IPL 2025, MI vs LSG: Resurgent Mumbai Indians face familiar foe Lucknow Super Giants

PM Modi welcomed by enthusiastic Indian community in Bangkok, watches Thai Ramayana performance

Must Read

Landslides and mudslides: Can they be prevented?

Fungi are adapting to body heat — a 'doomsday scenario'

Could a Syrian war criminal be attending Paris Olympics?

Next Article
Show comments