Webdunia - Bharat's app for daily news and videos

Install App

S.Korean court sentences president Park to another 8 years in jail

Webdunia
Friday, 20 July 2018 (14:36 IST)
Seoul: A South Korean court sentenced former president Park Geun-hye to eight more years in prison on Friday after finding her guilty on charges of causing loss of government funds and interfering in a 2016 parliamentary election.

Park has already been sentenced to 24 years in jail after she was found guilty by a lower court in April of separate charges including bribery, abuse of power and coercion.

All sentences must be served consecutively, a court spokeswoman said.

Park became South Korea’s first democratically elected leader to be forced from office last year when the Constitutional Court ordered her out over a scandal that exposed a web of corruption between political leaders and the country’s powerful conglomerates, or chaebol.

Park, 66, has denied wrongdoing and was not present in court. It was immediately unclear whether Park would appeal.

The Seoul Central District Court ruled that Park colluded with her former aides to cause the loss of government funds worth about 30 billion won ($26.5 million) from the National Intelligence Service (NIS). The court ordered a fine of 33 billion won.

The money was from a “special activity fund” allocated to the spy agency, totaling 4 billion won every year but exempt from state audits or parliamentary reports. Two of the three former NIS directors involved were sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison last month, and the third to three years.

Park was also found guilty of interfering in the ruling party’s selection of candidates for the parliamentary election, breaching the president’s obligations to remain politically neutral.

“Park’s private use of the funds weakened the principles of executing government funds, and barred the country’s chief spy agency from using the funds for its core duty of protecting the country and the people,” presiding judge Seong Chang-ho said as he delivered the verdict.

“However, the defendant has shifted blame to her assistants and refused to appear in court,” Seong said.

As the judge handed down the verdict, Park’s supporters attending the trial reportedly shouted “Release the innocent president,” and “Is this a law?”

Prosecutors had sought a 15-year sentence and a 80 billion won fine for Park.

Related Article

See All

Top News

Heathrow airport closed after fire causes power outage: The impact of a major shutdown at Europe's busiest airport

NZ vs PAK, 3rd T20: Hasan Nawaz hits blistering ton after first 2 ducks, powers Pakistan to win against New Zealand

'We are not a trash bin', Allahabad Bar Association on transfering Delhi High Court judge Yashwant Verma after Rs 15 crore cash recovery from his residence

Must Read

Landslides and mudslides: Can they be prevented?

Fungi are adapting to body heat — a 'doomsday scenario'

Could a Syrian war criminal be attending Paris Olympics?

Next Article
Show comments